Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Soulprint of Character Development

Today I received my copy of "Soulprint," Mark Batterson's new book. I'm about a half-way done and think it's his best one yet. There's a paragraph I wanted to share with you. Batterson is describing the trials and disappointment and failures David went through before he became a man (and a king) after God's own heart -- trials that led to his writing some of the best-loved Psalms: 23, 51, and 142.
"You may not want to be where you are. Maybe you're wrestling with depression or reeling from a mistake that seems unforgivable, or you're just plain sick and tired of being sick and tired. Dare I suggest that God is cultivating character? How do I know that? Because you are His masterpiece! He is chipping and chiseling. And like a half-finished piece of art, it may not look beautiful yet. But God always finishes what He starts, as long as we don't quit on Him. So you may not like your present circumstances, but they may be the key to your character development. And character development is the key to your future."
I'm glad God finishes what He starts, and that no matter what we're going through, God wants to bring good out it (Romans 8). I think it's very true that often the good is the transformation of our heart and character, whether or not we recognize it at the time. As I look at my own life and those of friends and co-workers... wow, it seems like God really loves character development!

No comments: