Friday, February 25, 2011

H2O Challenge a Success

For the past ten days I have been forsaking any beverage other than water as part of Calvary's 10-Day H2O Challenge. This is part of our Well Project to raise funds to build a well to provide clean drinking water for families in Honduras. The purpose of the challenge was two-fold: i) to save money on beverages and donate these to the Well Project; ii) to raise awareness for the project. But there were two other benefits I found over the past ten days.

Although it wasn't a typical fast, I did see much of the same benefits from fasting. Often I would deeply crave something that I was giving up. Rather than focus on that, or whine about it, this became a call to prayer. Thankfulness that I had instant access to cool clean water, and prayer that the many people who do not would soon have access to this life-giving water, and perhaps even to the Living Water Himself.

I also found it raised awareness not only among my friends but within myself. There is a big difference between a mental understanding of the needs of 1 billion people for clean water, or that we're going to tangibly help one village or school in Honduras - and knowing deep in your heart that right now there are real kids who may well die before the year's end from dysentery or disease from a lack of clean water this well will provide!

Frankly... I simply can't wait any longer to help out these families!! Real lives are at stake here, and working together we can make a profound difference! If you are able, please consider making a donation, of any size, to get us to our target of $5000 as soon as we possibly can! (I know not everyone participating in the challenge is able to do this. I just want to thank those who did for their sacrifice, and appreciate your prayers in all this!!)

   

Will you help children such as these?

Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.
Mark 9:41 (NIV)

Calvary friends, there will be a table setup for special donations this Sunday and next. Others interested in helping out with the Well project can donate online too. To keep up with the story, follow the Dig Deeper blog.

No comments: