Friday, September 5, 2008

A Quiet Hero

I was speaking to a new believer last week and got to ask how they came to attend our church. One of their friends, a very quiet guy, noticed that this person was having a rather rough time and feeling low. He asked a very simple question: "Would you mind if I asked some friends of mine to pray for you? I won't give them your name or any details, but we do pray for each other regularly as a small group." The answer was "Sure! I can use all the prayers I can get right now. This seeker immediately had two thoughts - first: there's something distinctly different about this guy, I wish I were more like him. Second, I need to get myself to his church. A very short time later this person came, found acceptance and love in a way that was hard to imagine, came to 101 class and made a decision to follow Christ that has transformed their life.

When we talk about evangelism, building relationships, transforming lives... it's not rocket science. More often than you might think it takes something as simple as "Would you mind if I prayed for you?"

No comments: