Friday, April 30, 2010

Review - God's Blogs

A small book caught my attention last week in our church's book center - "God's Blogs" by Lanny Donoho. I didn't know what to expect, but it seemed to be a quick read so I sat down with it. Is it a modern/social-media paraphrase from God's word? No - it's a fairly random set of short entries from the perspective of "What if God blogged?" Lanny shares some fresh and insightful perspectives on how God views the world, revealing his character and love. He considers marriage, laughter, death, poverty, why we're here, blowing bubbles, and a lot more.

One of my favorite entries was on prayer. "I love human beings. Today I listened to millions of them talk to Me. They use the word 'pray.' Today 212 people in Keokuk, Iowa, prayed that it would rain, while almost at the same time 124 people in the same town saw clouds and prayed that it wouldn't rain." He then described how the prayers sounded. Pretty fun, or pretty sad, in several ways convicting. He continues "But I never meant for prayer to be like a vending machine, or Santa Claus. You put in your time in asking, and you ask just right and hold your moth the right way... and you wait for Me to come through for you. - That isn't prayer! Prayer is relationship. It's an ongoing conversation between you and Me - two people who want to get to know each other better. Sure, I don't mind you asking for things. Daddies like that. They just don't want to be all about responding to requests."  As a dad, I definitely relate to that! It's insights like these and fresh perspectives that make the book a very useful read (as well as very funny at times).

"Imagine... {God's Blogs} Insights from His site" is a short, enjoyable, and thought-provoking book.

No comments: