Sunday, June 27, 2010

Little Prayers

This morning my wife was playing tennis with a friend and had the kids along playing in the park. One son lost a brand new (and currently favorite) toy of the younger son, and they looked and looked with no success for almost a half and hour. She called me, just to vent, and asked what to do. I prayed for her and said "Pray about it with the kids, then look quickly one last time." After I hung up I asked God to answer that prayer to find the toy jeep, not because the jeep was important, but to help the kids learn God is faithful when we seek Him in prayer. (If they instead needed to learn God isn't a magic genie, that's ok too, but go ahead and ask and leave the answer up to Him.) Not two minutes later my wife rang back "We found it!! It was right in front of our noses the whole time. The kids are yelling "Praise the Lord!" and "Hallelujah!"  I'm thankful for a God who loves us so much He's never to busy to hear our prayers, no matter how small, and to answer them -- whether directly or by turning our hearts to Him and changing our attitudes from frustration to gratitude.

Honestly, would they have found the toy without the prayer? Given where it actually was, quite possibly. But I can almost guarantee the response would have been to see frustration levels increase, with a few harsh words at the older son why he didn't remember where he put it. Instead there is a van that's full of very thankful children (and mom) who are joyful and thankful. It doesn't have to be a physics-defying miracle to be an answer to prayer. Mom didn't have to call me, but she did. Had I not been right in the middle of reading the Bible and in awe of God's faithfulness I don't think I would have said to pray when the answer looked like it would be a sure "no." I would have said the one boy needs to buy the other a replacement. They would have learned a lesson in justice instead of a lesson about grace. The world will teach them much about justice... I love when God orders things to teach about grace, and when He gets the glory.

No comments: