Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Sabbath

Some days I'm just overwhelmed with thankfulness for all the good people and good things in my life. Here is how my Sunday played out today...

A good night's sleep, eager to get to church where I got to serve as greeter. I've come to love seeing friendly faces and trying to make new friends with those I don't know. Our children sang two songs from VBS Summer Camp - they were adorable! After much thought this week one child chose to be baptized. The worship time and the sermon were excellent, with a great challenge to keep God in first place - and that when we do He will order the rest in a way that works out great both for us and for other people.

Afterwards, over to a friends house to share a feast. Ribs, cooked to perfection, glazed in honey chipotle BBQ sauce. After lunch, no one was in a rush to be anywhere so we just hung out. I got the comfy couch and almost fell asleep. It's nice to just enjoy good company. Then I went home and read a very good book (Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell). This evening, off to another good friend's house for another cookout. Dogs n burgers n sausage. I had a great time - talking half the time to people's kids and getting the inside scoop on family life, and the other half learning more about the background and life experiences of some other friends. Home again to continue reading, spend some time in prayer and the Word, and just listening to music.

I did absolutely nothing 'productive', and wouldn't change a single minute of my day. A quote from Velvet Elvis about the Sabbath:
"The real issue behind the Sabbath isn't which day of the week it is but how we live all the time... Sabbath is taking a day a week to remind myself that I did not make the world and that it will continue to exist without my efforts. Sabbath is a day when I am fully available to myself and to those I love most... Jesus wants to heal our souls, wants to give us the shalom of God. And so we have to stop. We have to slow down. We have to sit still and stare out the window and let the engine come to an idle. We have to listen to what our inner voice is saying."

No comments: