Friday, June 27, 2008

Giving Facebook a Chance

Last week I decided to give Facebook a try. For those more in the dark than I, it's a social networking portal originally designed to help college students keep in touch, but which has skyrocketed in popularity. I had heard about it quite a while ago, but wasn't really able to wrap my head around what it was, or what it might be useful for. After hearing more positive comments about it, I had a friend demo it for me, and thought it was a good time to jump in. So far... it's been great! Now I'm seeing just how common it is. Just today I saw a post from a blogging Pastor, Mark Batterson in Washington DC, saying he was jumping into Facebook. Even Pastor Chuck is using it, and we're seeing some quiet people in the congregation get better connected through Facebook. (It's kind of scary to see how my wife is getting into it... she joined the day after I did :)

Why Facebook?
  • You learn a lot about what's going on in your friends and family
  • You get to see as many (or as few) photos of friends as you like
  • You can better understand your teenage child's world
  • You can control who gets to see what information, share as much
    or as little about yourself as you feel comfortable with
  • You can ask a hundred or so people if they want to go see a
    movie this weekend without sending out a spam email
  • Get back in touch with friends from high school or college
  • It's a great way to share things you find on the web (or your blog)
    with those friends of yours that are more social and less techie
  • It's a fun way to better connect, build relationships and make new friends

So what other reasons do you need? Give Facebook a try.

No comments: